Chapter 12 covers the hard-to-measure but oh-so-important keys to success, such as attitude, self-esteem and self-efficacy, goal setting, teamwork, and diversity.
- Describe a time when you demonstrated high self-efficacy: What was the task before you? What conditions do you think led you to feel you were very capable? What was the result?
- Describe a time when you demonstrated low self-efficacy: What was the task before you? What conditions do you think led you to feel you were not capable? What was the result?
- In general, do you believe you have a positive perception of self-efficacy? Explain. What steps can you take to maintain or improve your perception of self-efficacy?
- Follow the tips included in this chapter’s goal-setting section to set some personal and academic goals. Explain why each goal is meaningful to you, write out an action plan for each goal, and describe how you plan to stay motivated.
- Visit your college’s multicultural center to learn more about clubs, activities, and resources available on campus and in your community. Choose one event or activity to participate in or learn about that is different and new to you. Either write a two-page reflection on your experience or share your experience with a small group of students in class.
Exercises (LDC Website only)
- Take the self-efficacy survey at http://www.mytherapysession.com/PDFs/SelfEfficacyScale.pdf