Chapter 11 is all about grades. We provide an overview of various grading systems, outline alternative grading options, and recommend strategies to maintain good grades.
- Review the syllabi of the classes you’re enrolled in this term. What are the grading procedures of each instructor?
- Research alternative grading options available at your college and the requirements for electing those alternatives.
Exercises (LDC Website only)
- Read Alfie Kohn’s article, “The Dangerous Myth of Grade Inflation”http://www.alfiekohn.org/teaching/gi.htm . According to Kohn, what assumptions underlie the myth of grade inflation? According to Kohn, what are the flaws inherent in the “myth” of grade inflation? Do you agree with Kohn that grades do not motivate? Explain your answer with specific support.
- Read the NY Times article “Student Expectations Seen as Causing Grade Disputes.”http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/18/education/18college.html What are the fundamental differences in attitudes towards grades expressed by the individuals interviewed for the article? How might this article help a first-year college student adjust to college classes and grades?
- Does your GPA really matter? Read the careerbuilder.com article http://www.careerbuilder.com/Article/CB-469-Getting-Hired-Does-Your-GPA-Really-Matter/.
Be prepared to discuss.