Chapter 5 focuses on developing relationships with instructors and classmates. We include tips on how to communicate with instructors (in person as well as online), how to make the most of a meeting with an instructor, and how to connect with other students.
- What qualities does a great instructor possess? List as many as possible.
- Think of teachers you’ve had in the past who were great but whose teaching style was very different from what usually works best for you. What made those teachers great?
- What expectations do college instructors have of their students that are different from the expectations high school teachers have of their students? Brainstorm with another student and/or interview upperclassmen and/or instructors to answer this question.
- Draw or describe in writing your vision of the ideal student-instructor-classmates relationship. Where do teaching, learning, and knowledge fit into your drawing or depiction?
- Interview a classmate and introduce him or her to the class. Create interesting interview questions so other students will really get to know your subject. Introduce him or her in a memorable way.